In Spring term our Year 1 classes were extremely excited to be involved in the Schools Library Service Picture Book awards.
The Hampshire Picture Book Award is an annual award, running from January to April. The award introduces new
picture books to Year 1 pupils, extending their experience and developing a love of books.
The aims of the award are:
- To promote the enjoyment of reading
- To develop children’s visual literacy skills
- To develop pupils’ creativity
- To develop pupils’ critical ability, using listening and speaking skills
- To increase teachers’ knowledge of new material
- To promote pupil use of the public library
The books which Year 1 had to vote on were:
Our children have all loved reading and exploring these new books and have each voted for their favourite and these votes have been submitted to Hampshire School Library Service! The overall winner shall be announced at the end of March and we shall
announce this to the children. Each child who has taken part shall receive a certificate and a bookmark and the books shall be placed in our library for other year groups to enjoy!
Thank you Year 1 for taking part……watch this space to find out which book has won!